So, I'm trying to get back to the story, but I'm not sure how to get it from where I left it to where I need it to be. Below are my notes, excerpts that aren't in it yet, etc. I was thinking of maybe going into this as a break between Claire's final visit to Tyler and her return to Mt. Pleasant. Maybe flesh out part of this after Claire sleeps with Alex? Or should I put it in before even starting this next part?
I'm also not sure about the time of year throughout the whole book. Maybe I should figure that out when I'm done? When I go back to edit after I'm done, put in the seasons and whatnot then?
This takes place after Claire's return to Mt. Pleasant.
The Darkened Crystal wasn't too far from Claire's home, so she walked to her friend's store for some input about herself and Alex. It was a beautiful day in Texas. The breeze was cool and calm and the air smelled fresh and sweet. She took in a deep breath and instantly felt better.
She needed another woman's opinion on the matter. Kaira might be able to shed some light on her situation. Claire became a bit confused as she walked into the store. Nik and Kaira were both there, but that wasn't different from any other day. She saw them laughing and talking and being.. affectionate. This was new. Claire could sense that something was up, something was different, but she couldn't place her finger on it.
What happened while I was away? she thought. Neither of them noticed when Claire walked over.
"Hi, guys!" she said.
They both jumped, not expecting hear Claire's voice. Nik went silent and thoughful for a moment while Kaira blushed.
"What's up, you two?" she asked. Claire was trying to sound as friendly as possible.
"Nothing, really," replied Kaira. "We were just talking, hanging out." She was fidgety, acting as if she were in trouble or caught in a lie. Very strange.
Nik was still lost in thought, looking as if he were searching for something. It wasn't that often that he was at a loss for words.
"Okay, so what did I miss? Obviously it's something pretty big, otherwise you both wouldn't be so tight lipped about it." Claire was getting agitated, and hoped it didn't flow out in her tone of voice.
Kaira was silent. It was Nik who spoke.
"It's actually some great news, Claire. We're just trying to figure out how to tell you without any hurt feelings."
At that moment, Claire noticed that Nik said 'we' instead of other pronouns.
"Okay, well, then why not just blurt it out and tell me?"
"All right," said Nik. "Claire, Kaira and I, well, we.. uhhh..."
"We're engaged!" screamed Kaira, as she thrust her hand in Claire's face. On her ring finger was a beautiful 2 carat diamond on a white gold band. The setting was beautiful. Claire felt her stomach lurch; not because she was going to get sick, but because it reminded her of the relationship that didn't work out.
This feeling didn't keep her from being happy for her friends. The two of them had already decided on a fall wedding; they had some time to get things settled.
"I'd love for you to be a bridesmaid, Claire," Kaira continued.
"Really?"
"Yes," she replied. "Really."
"I'd be honored to be a part of your special day!" she exclaimed. "When are you starting all the planning?"
"Yesterday. I'm going to need the help of you and Bella. Tomorrow, we'll do the dress shopping. I want to know which colors you both look fantastic in so that I can choose the right colors for the color scheme."
Nik left them to chatter about wedding dresses and other female things and returned to the magazine. The only think he wants part of is when it's his turn to say "I do." Kaira, Belle, and Claire could handle the rest just fine without him in the way.
The next morning, Kaira, for the first time since she opened, put a CLOSED sign on the door of her shop. It felt odd to her, but it felt good, too. She was finally able to do something for herself. Grinning, she walked away from the store to meet Belle and Claire at the bridal boutique.
That's where the next part ends. At least, for now. Below, other notes I've written. These are about Nik and Kaira.
Nik and Kaira finally come to grips that they were meant to be together. They keept it a secret from Claire and everyone else. On occasion, Kaira will sneak into Nik's office and close and lock the door. The blinds were never open. They start spending their lunch hours togeher, trying to make it look like they were just two friends getting together, hoping no one would catch on. A few weeks go by and she takes a pregnancy test and it's positive. It's confirmed by an OB a week later. At this point, they come out to everyone that they're dating, mentioning nothing about the pregnancy. By the end of Kaira's first trimester, Nik proposes. They get married two months before the baby is born (four months after he proposes). At this point, they've been together for nearly a year.
Claire moves on. She catches the eye of one of the groomsmen and they have a fling. She finds out after a couple of months that he's actually married and lives with his wife and three kids in Tyler. Heartbreak again for Claire.
She meets someone else a few months later. Really hot for the first little while, but no sex. He finally comes clean to her that he was bi and, after being with her, he's realized that he's gay.
At this point, she's completely given up. She has a lot of friends, male and female, but has stopped playing the game. She's left the magazine entirely and starts working at Kaira's store. Kaira, Nik, and their baby, Elsa Leigh move out to Dallas. Kaira leaves the store in Claire's hands. Belle moves with them to become a full-time nanny to her god-daughter.
Shortly after this, is the epilogue (which is already written).
So, there it is. All of my notes up to this point. I've got nothing else. Please, give me some kind of feedback. I'd like to explore Nik and Kaira's relationship throughout Claire's story, but I'm having difficulty pinpointing stuff. Thanks so much!
I have a little more written but it's not much. It's slightly fleshed about her taking over the store.
ReplyDeleteI think you leave the part where Claire can't put her finger on what is different and then add the part about them hanging out and Kaira getting pregnant. Have Kaira blurt put that they are engaged a little later in the story.
ReplyDeleteI am not sure what else to add.